For me, this is the perfect Summer sauce! I confess I use it as a dip too, and as a topping for any veggies I’m cooking that day, and for beach sandwiches, and by the spoon too, it’s that good!
The classic version is made with mayonnaise, but I prefer this one as it’s lighter and more nutrient-dense. The flavours are given by the mix of lemon juice and parsley with capers and cornichons, tiny pickled French gherkins. So, very simply, I just made a cashew mayonnaise and added these ingredients to make this vegan tartar sauce.
Let’s go to the recipe!
Vegan Tartar Sauce
150 gr raw cashews, soaked for 4-8 hours
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lemon, juice
1/4 cup water
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp minced capers
2 tbsp minced cornichons
1 tbsp chopped flatleaf parsley
1. 4-8 hours before making this recipe, soak the cashews in water.
2. Discard the water, place the soaked cashews in a food processor and add olive oil, lemon juice, water and sea salt. Blitz until a creamy paste forms. Scrape the sides of the processor as you go so everything is evenly blended.
3. When smooth, add the remaining ingredients and pulse to combine and keep the coarse texture.
4. Serve in a bowl (add extra ingredients for garnishing) as a dip for your crackers* or keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
* Try my recipe for The Easiest Savoury Crackers!